Tuesday, October 31, 2006

GRE

Hey fans of the Canyon.

Just checking in to let you know that I'll be back writing a bit more often in the not too distant future. I've been buried in books for the better part of the offseason, and actually for some time before as well. The Graduate Record Examination is a beast of a test. A few small mistakes can cost you some very important competitive points on your final score. I will be entering the lair of the spider Thursday afternoon Japan time. A trip to Tokyo tomorrow after work will have me on the doorstep of my adventure with graduate school. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

I graduated from university in December 1993, and I'm attempting this madness 13 years later. Not easy, but I'm up to the task. I'm gritty like Dave Eckstein. Sorry....a nod to FJM.

Daisuke Matsuzaka is likely to be posted this coming weekend, or shortly thereafter. I'll let you know what's going on as soon as I hear. In the meantime, browse Matsuzaka Watch if you haven't already and get up to speed on him. I hear the Yanks are looking at Jeff Suppan in case they don't win the Matsuzaka sweepstakes. If that happens, I hope all of you are in the streets burning Brian Cashman in effigy. Suppan's 4.60 career ERA and 1.416 WHIP are enough to keep him away from the Big Apple, but to replace Matsuzaka with him would be an insult to all of us. No Daisuke means Zito or bust, Cash Money.

See you all soon......wish me luck.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Good luck on the test, Mike... I took the regular GRE last year, and despite having success with standardized tests in the past, the computer version of the GRE is a doozy. It's like the opposite of baseball... the clutch moments come in the first ten questions, when the test basically figures out which century your scores is going to be in. I took the test twice, and ran out of time on the math section, twice. Memorizing the dictionary would not effectively prepare one for the verbal section. Ugh.

The good news: it's just a number. Not a single graduate school I've talked to has been: "Oh, too bad your GRE score wasn't higher." So take some swings in the batting cage (take a simulated computer test if you can), and step into the box ready to swing. Don't end up like A-Rod or Beltran, frozen by a completely predictable curveball!